Monday, April 12, 2010

Why Africa?

Why did I choose Africa? Why not stay and help children in America? They surely need it! Why not go to Haiti? Why Africa? I have been asked these kind of questions on several different occasions. The answer is - I didn't choose it. In a way, it chose me! Actually, I had hoped to go to Asia and work with orphans there. I had heard about all of the girls that were unwanted and abandoned or placed into orphanages. I also had a few good Asian friends in college whom I really connected with. I would have loved to go and visit their country. So, I thought that Asia may be a good place for me. I attempted to go on a mission trip to Asia two different times with my church. Both times there were circumstances beyond my control and I was unable to go.

Then, nearly 6 years ago, in the fall of 2004, I was sitting in church minding my own business when they announced that there would be a Kenya mission trip meeting after the 2nd service. I had never in my life even entertained the idea of going to Africa. Actually, I hadn't thought of it either negatively or positively. I just never thought of it. Nonetheless, that day after the 2nd service I found myself sitting in a room full of people discussing the Kenya mission trip that would take place the following January, 2005. After that things just fell into place, literally. All of the funds came rolling in, everywhere I looked I saw God's hand moving me to go to Africa. I did not understand exactly why I was going, but I went. Am I glad I did! It was from that time on that my heart has been in Africa. I knew when I returned that I would go back again. I did go on another mission trip to Zambia, Africa in July of 2008. Then again, upon that return I knew I would go back and here I go! Lord willing, I will be in Uganda by August of this year. I am teaming up with Every Child Ministries (E.C.M.) to work with the orphans and war-effected children there. Please check out E.C.M.'s website when you get a chance. It is a wonderful Christian organization dedicated to reach every child in Africa with real help and a living hope! http://www.ecmafrica.org/


So, all of that being said. Why Africa? I believe that God has ordained it to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment